The Plaidvocates are a peer health and wellness advocacy program for student-athletes that supports the well-being of CMU’s varsity athletics community. This peer-to-peer volunteer organization comprises student-athletes that lead by adopting health-promoting behaviors for both physical and mental health, providing year-round support and mentorship, and empowering peers to engage in responsible, informed decision-making.
The Plaidvocates are educated and trained throughout the year to listen, promote and provide support/information on stress, nutrition, alcohol, drug use, mental health, physical health, and other health-related topics and concerns. The Plaidvocates function as a resource and role model for their peers by providing one-on-one interaction, leadership, and group events that promote educational programming. There is generally at least one Plaidvocate on every varsity sports team to increase cohesiveness.
Committees and Events
The Plaidvocates have various committees and host events that support different areas within athletics and wellness. These are continuously being added to, and the Plaidvocates are always open to additional ideas or suggestions. These include:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Promote conversations on diversity, equity, and inclusion within CMU athletics by hosting DEI panels and student spotlights to represent athletes from all backgrounds and cultures.
- Sexual Assault Prevention
- Facilitate workshops for student-athletes and partner with organizations such as Title IX Office, Green Dot Bystander Intervention, It's On Us!, and PAAR to promote awareness of sexual assault on college campuses and provide training on healthy relationships and bystander intervention.
- Teach nutrition and healthy eating habits by hosting an annual “Chopped-Style Cookoff” event between athletes.
- Regional Socials
- Promote student-athlete connections and relationships by organizing tailgates and social events at and outside of sports games.
- Happy Days
- Promote stress-relieving activities and stress-management techniques.
- Recovering Athlete Kickback
- Support injured athletes by helping to manage recovery, providing emotional support, and having open conversations through a group chat and various social events.
- Mental Health
- Promote open conversations on mental health within athletics, between student-athletes, teams, and coaches.
- First-Year Orientation
- Organize the annual orientation for freshman athletes at CMU, where they discuss mental health, Title IX, hazing, and unhealthy relationships.
If you have questions or concerns or need to talk to someone, a Plaidvocate can set up a time to meet with you and help. Feel free to reach out to a Plaidvocate you are comfortable with using their provided contact information. The Sports Medicine team can also help you find a Plaidvocate best suited to assist you if you have trouble deciding on a contact. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and they will forward your information to a Plaidvocate, who will contact you.