Carnegie Mellon University Tailgating Policy
Tailgating is permitted on the rooftop area of the East Campus Garage. The West (Cohon Center) end of the roof is reserved for Carnegie Mellon fans, and the East (scoreboard) end is designated for visitors. Please refer to rooftop diagram for further detail. Public tailgating is not allowed inside any other portion of the East Campus Garage or in any area adjacent to the field at ground level. We ask that tailgate activities foster a safe, family-friendly environment that encourages social interaction and school spirit.
This policy is designed to ensure the safety of all participants, including members of the Carnegie Mellon Tartan community and visitors alike. We ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Carnegie Mellon University prohibits the consumption of alcohol at tailgate functions.
- Carnegie Mellon University assumes no responsibility for food consumed at tailgate functions.
- Tailgating is permitted only on the roof of the East Campus Garage.
- Tailgaters are required to purchase a game ticket (if attending a ticketed event) regardless of where they view the game.
- The Department of Athletics does not provide tables or chairs for tailgating use.
- Tailgating is not permitted in the enclosed portions of the East Campus Garage, regardless of inclement weather.
- Grilling is permitted, but all grills must be elevated above the floor of the roof.
- Fire pits and other open flames are prohibited.
- While we encourage all fans to enjoy the game from the grandstands, it is permissible to watch the game from the roof (where safety permits). Sitting on the rooftop ledge is not permitted.
- Artificial noisemakers (including bull horns) are not permitted (NCAA rule).
- Tailgating activities/functions may not impede the free flow of traffic. This pertains to all picnic activities, including games (Corn Hole, etc.).
- Individuals are asked to dispose of trash.
- Pets are not allowed in the grandstands or on the playing field (including the track). Spectators with pets should sit on the South/ visitors’ (dormitory) side of the field.
- Tailgaters are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner. Persons acting in a disruptive, disrespectful or disorderly manner will be asked to leave the premises.
- Failure to comply with the Carnegie Mellon University Tailgating Policy will result in revocation of tailgating privilege and removal from university property.