Newly Ranked Tartans Record Fourth Shutout in 3-0 Win Versus Washington & Jefferson
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The 18th-ranked Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team stretched its record to 5-0 with its fourth shutout victory of the season, topping Washington and Jefferson College, 3-0, at home on Tuesday evening. The Presidents drop to 2-3.
Inside The Box Score
- Sophomore Chris Lee scored what would hold up as the game-winner in the eighth minute after a quick strike from the top of the 18-yard box with his left foot inside the left post. Sophomore Jake Kavan earned the assist on the play.
- Junior Ethan Vertal added to the score line in the 33rd minute after entering the game in the 25th minute. He picked up a pass at midfield and dribbled all the way to the six-yard box before putting a left-footed shot to the far post past Charles Boldosser.
- Vertal struck again in the opening seconds of the 38th minute after junior Diederik Schlingemann sent a long ball from the Tartans' defensive side of the field into the 18-yard box where Vertal brought it down on the run and then shot it hard over the charging keeper's head.
- Freshman William Burger made four saves, all coming in the second half, including a save on a penalty kick in the 64th minute.
- Vertal nearly made it a hat trick in the second half when his shot in the 75th minute was tipped wide by Boldosser before it caromed off the post.
- Freshman Liam Ryan earned the victory in net for the Tartans, his fourth of the year, after playing the first 45 minutes with zero saves.
- Vertal has six goals on the season, three times scoring twice.
- The Tartans entered the United Soccer Coaches Top 25 poll this week at 18th
The Tartans will host Bethany College on Saturday, September 17 for a 7:00 p.m. contest. It will be their fourth game against a Presidents' Athletic Conference member this season.