Tartans Earn 3-0 Road Win Versus W&J
(WASHINGTON, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team traveled south of Pittsburgh for a midweek contest against Washington & Jefferson College on Wednesday, September 13. The Tartans picked up a 3-0 victory to move to 4-1 for the season while the Presidents dropped to 1-2-1.
Inside The Box Score
- The Tartans put five shots on goal before sophomore Matthew Cadena put in the game's first goal in the 41st minute.
- Cadena's goal was assisted by sophomore Zach Schonwetter who put a ball diagonal ball through the defense to the back post for Cadena who came racing in from the 18-yard box.
- Washington and Jefferson had two shot attempts in the first half that were both high.
- Senior Alejandro Fernandez made the score 2-0 in the 69th minute with a shot to the lower left corner.
- Freshman Dominic Hoar-Weiler put in his first collegiate goal with a low right shot in the 75th minute.
- Junior Jake Slackman recorded three shots on frame between the goals by Fernandez and Hoar-Weiler.
- Sophomore Liam Ryan was tested in the second half and made two saves before Fernandez added to the score line. Ryan then made a save with the Tartans leading 3-0 to preserve his second shutout of the season.
- Cadena's goal is the first of the season for the second-year Tartan and second game-winner of his career.
The Tartans will play their third straight road contest on Saturday, September 16 at Bethany College at 4:30 p.m.