Tartans Fall Twice at Hiram
(HIRAM, Ohio) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team played a midweek doubleheader against Hiram College on Tuesday, March 28. The Tartans dropped the first contest, 9-2, before falling 4-3 in the second game. The Tartans are now 8-12 overall while Hiram moved to 10-4.
- Hiram took a 7-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Tartans scored two in the top of the third after senior Piper Johnson led off with a single and junior Erika Heffernen doubled.
- Freshman Kira Monji grounded out but plated Johnson and junior Kiera Boucher singled to center field to score Heffernen.
- The Tartans left two runners on base in the top of the fifth inning and one on in the top of the seventh.
- Johnson and Monji each recorded two hits with Monji picking up her seventh double of the year.
- Trailing 2-0, sophomore Faith Lawrence pinch hit in the fourth inning and doubled to left field to score freshman Koko Sagae who singled to lead off the inning.
- After Hiram scored one in the fifth inning, the Tartans put two across the plate in the sixth inning to tie the score at 3-all.
- Freshman Kyr Brenneman earned both RBIs with a single through the left side.
- Hiram's Kylie Perez recorded a walk-off triple to left center scoring Fayth Kawamura.
- Sagae led the Tartans with three hits and two stolen bases.
The Tartans will host a three-day, four-game series with New York University beginning on Friday, March 31. Friday's game is scheduled to start at 3:00 p.m.