Tartans Battle #7 Case Western Reserve at Home
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team hosted seventh-ranked Case Western Reserve University for a doubleheader on Friday, April 14 with the Spartans taking both wins by a score of 5-1 in game one and 10-9 in game two. The Tartans are now 14-18 overall and 4-10 in the University Athletic Association (UAA) while the Spartans improve to 25-2 and 11-2.
- Case Western Reserve put four runs on the board in the top of the second inning after stringing together three hits.
- The Tartans answered with their only run of the game in the bottom of the second when sophomore Libby Eichberger tripled to center field to score sophomore Abbey Reese who was hit by a pitch with one out.
- The Spartans added a run in the sixth inning with an RBI triple by Stevie Rieger, who also doubled in the second inning to plate three runs.
- Junior Kiera Boucher and sophomore Olivia Van Zandt were both 4-for-4 at the plate while Eichberger was 3-for-5.
- Eichberger and Van Zandt each had three RBIs while Eichberger and senior Piper Johnson both hit a double.
- Case Western Reserve led 4-1 after their second at bat before the Tartans put five hits and four runs on the board in their half of the inning to take a 5-4 lead.
- All of the Tartans' runs in the second inning came with two outs as they hit five straight singles with Eichberger, Boucher, junior Erika Heffernen, and Van Zandt all collecting RBIs.
- Case Western Reserve scored four runs of their own in the fourth inning and later led 10-6 before the Tartans' final at bat.
- In the seventh, Van Zandt led off with a single up the middle and after an out, advanced to second on a ground out. Johnson then doubled to center field and sophomore Abbey Reese walked. Eichberger hit her second double of the game to score to runs but the Spartans were able to get freshman Kira Monji to fly out to center field to end the game.
The series continues on Saturday with a doubleheader starting at 12:00 p.m.