Two Record Double-Doubles in Tight Game with WashU
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's basketball team hosted Washington University in St. Louis on Sunday, January 22 for its fifth University Athletic Association (UAA) contest of the season. The Tartans rallied to lead late in the game but fell 77-74 to move to 9-7 overall and 0-5 in the UAA. The Bears are now 4-1 in the UAA and 11-5 overall.
How it Happened
- After freshman Liv LaFond made a layup to tie the game at seven midway through the first quarter, WashU used a 7-0 run to lead by seven with a minute to play in the period.
- The teams traded three-pointers and the Tartans hit two free throws to end the first quarter down 17-12.
- An 8-3 run by the Bears to open the second quarter gave the visitors their first double-digit lead at 25-15.
- The Bears would go on to lead by as many as 15 in the half after back-to-back triples before a layup by freshman Savannah Gibbs cut it to a 13-point deficit at the half.
- The Tartans hit 42.9% from the floor in the third quarter and pulled to within three points at 53-50 as the quarter ended following four straight points by sophomore Catherine Or.
- Freshman Piper Ligotti scored seven points in the third quarter to help lead the team back.
- Or drained a trey from the top of the key to open the fourth to tie the score for the first time since 7-all in the first period.
- The Tartans took their first lead (67-66) since the opening five points with 5:12 to go off a jumper by Or following a Tartan timeout.
- The Bears answered with seven straight over the next three minutes and remained in the lead as the Tartans could only pull to within one after Or hit a step-back three-pointer in the corner with 10 seconds left.
- The Tartans were forced to foul and Sammi Matoush converted both attempts from the line to give the Bears back a three-point lead.
- After WashU fouled twice to prevent a bucket by the Tartans, Or missed a shot at the buzzer to tie it.
For the Tartans
- Or and Gibbs recorded double-doubles for the Tartans
- Or finished with a game-high 22 points, with 17 coming in the second half, and 13 rebounds.
- Gibbs tallied 16 points and 10 rebounds.
- Ligotti finished with a career-high 13 points.
- LaFond grabbed a career-best nine rebounds.
- Or also dished out five assists and had three steals.
For the Bears
- Jessica Brooks finished with 21 points and four assists while Maya Arnott had 20 points and four assists.
- Nailah McBeth led the team with eight rebounds.
The Tartans travel to eighth-ranked New York University on Friday, January 27 for a 5:30 p.m. contest.