Players Set to Play in Doubles and Singles Semifinals of ITA Southeast Regional
(FREDERICKSBURG, Va.) – The Carnegie Mellon University women's tennis team traveled to Fredericksburg, Virginia, to play in the ITA Southeast Regional Tournament hosted by the University of Mary Washington. After the first two days of play, the Tartans have one doubles team and two singles players advancing to the semifinals to be played on Sunday.
- Sophomores Sarah Yang and Crystal Zhou advanced to the semifinals.
- Yang won two singles matches on Saturday, defeating sophomore Nathalie Williams of Swarthmore College, 6-2, 7-5, and Sweet Briar's senior Ruth de Souza, 6-0, 6-2.
- Zhou topped Swarthmore's junior Jenny Lewis, 6-3, 6-1, and then junior Izzy Koziol of Washington and Lee, 6-1, 6-4.
- Freshman Manuela Van Cotthem won three singles matches before falling 6-1, 6-2 to freshman Julia Xiao of Johns Hopkins University in the quarterfinals.
- Junior Danna Taylor and Zhou won their quarterfinals match with a 7-0 tiebreaker score over freshman Kamila Wong and Xiao of Johns Hopkins.
- Two pairs advanced to the round of 16 with Taylor and Zhou defeating Sweet Briar's de Souza and senior Allison Wandling, 8-4, and sophomore Zoe Angell and Van Cotthem falling 8-1 to Swarthmore's freshman Kathleen Shiffer and sophomore Nathalie Williams.
- Zhou advances to the semifinals of both singles and doubles play for the second straight season.
- Taylor will play in her third ITA Southeast Regional doubles semifinal.
The Tartans continue play at the ITA Southeast Regional Tournament hosted by Mary Washington University in Fredericksburg, Virginia, on Sunday, September 25.