Tartans Begin Year at Kenyon Invitational
(GAMBIER, Ohio) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's tennis team opened its season at the Kenyon College Invitational on Saturday, September 17 and Sunday, September 18.
Highlights of Singles Play
- Senior Raahil Doshi defeated Camden French of Denison University in three sets and Eric Zhang of Kenyon by a 6-1, 6-4 score.
- Junior Jaden D'Abreo won twice, topping Matthew Plunkett of Case Western Reserve University, 7-5, 4-6, 10-7 and Kevin Wacnik of John Carroll University, 6-2, 6-4.
- Junior Derek Wong picked up two victories against two players from Case Western Reserve.
- Freshman Sebastien Lhuillier won his first career matches with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Charlie Kuchler of Denison and a 6-4, 6-3 win against Evan Dean of Kenyon on Friday.
- Lhuillier was the lone singles player to win a match on Sunday, defeating Jackson Schueltze of Case Western Reserve, 6-4, 3-6, 12-10.
Highlights of Doubles Play
- Sophomore William Wang and Doshi topped Pranav Ikkurthy and Yuvraj Narang of Case Western Reserve, 8-7.
- Senior Matthew Poh and Wong defeated Zach Portnoy and Jacob Patterson of Denison, 8-6.
- Lhuillier and freshman Akshay Joshi paired to top Anmay Devraj and Prochnow of Case Western Reserve, 8-3.
- On Sunday, senior Jonathan Nottingham and D'Abreo won 8-5 against Diego Maza and John Kasner of Case Western Reserve while sophomore William Wang and Doshi topped John Carroll's Logan Langovsky and Kevin Wacnik, 8-2.
The Tartans will host an invitational on Friday, September 23 and Saturday, September 24 with Friday's action starting at 3:00 p.m.