Please see the department's facilities reopening plan for use of all facilities this spring 2021.
Full Athletic Facilities/Recreation Reopening Plans - Spring 2021 - pdf
Specific information about the indoor spaces and the Cohon Fitness Center can be found on pages 4-6.
All exercise studios will be closed with the exception of scheduled physical education and Group X classes.
If you have questions, please contact Sara Gauntner.
Must have a valid CMU ID to use the space
Spring 2021 Hours - Beginning January 25
Monday through Friday - 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.; 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.; 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Carnegie Mellon University campus community has a central gathering place in the Jared L. Cohon University Center. The Cohon Center contains numerous facilities for athletics, assemblies and dining as well as lounge and retail areas. It also includes space for student organizations and activities. The Cohon Center opened in 1996 and is the home of the varsity swimming and diving team.
Opened in May 2016, the new 62,000 square feet expansion of the Cohon Center contains multi-purpose space to enhance campus life for students, faculty and staff. The expansion houses two exercise studios, a cycling studio, and the Maureen B. Cohon Cardio Fitness Center on the second floor with men's and women's locker rooms, an equipment desk and the strength center including free weight and selectorized equipment on the first floor.
Important Fitness Center and Group X Policies
- A valid Carnegie Mellon ID is required to use the recreational facilities in the Cohon University Center.
- Please follow all rules posted in the facilities.
- Fitness Users/Group X users: Please clean equipment when done-wipes are available around the facility. All users must wear proper athletic attire and tennis shoes when in all athletic facilities or taking PE or Group X classes.
- No food or drink permitted around machines or in studios.
- NO CHALK permitted in Fitness Center.
- Guest Policy: Holders of valid Carnegie Mellon Identification Cards may escort one guest into athletic facilities in the Cohon University Center by following these procedures (*NOTE: No guests permitted in spring 2021):
- Purchase guest pass at the information desk in Cohon University Center for $10.00. Guest Passes can be purchased at the Equipment Desk and Fitness Center Desk by credit or debit card only. No cash accepted.
- Bring guest pass/card to the equipment desk in the Cohon University Center.
- Give guest pass to desk attendant.
- Host and guest must together login at the computer located at the CUC Equipment Desk.
- Host and guest must show a valid form of ID to receive a guestpass. Host must be with the guest when receiving guest pass.
- Guest must be accompanied by his or her host at all times while using the facilities.
- Guests must wear wristband in a visible location at all times while using the facilities.
- Guest must be accompanied by host when returning the wristband to the equipment desk.
- Children under 12 years old are free, must be accompanied by their parent. Children are only allowed to have access to swimming pool and gymnasium. Children are not permitted in the fitness center.