The Carnegie Mellon University campus community has a central gathering place in the Jared L. Cohon University Center. The Cohon Center contains numerous facilities for athletics, assemblies and dining as well as lounge and retail areas. It also includes space for student organizations and activities. The Cohon Center opened in 1996 and is the home of the varsity swimming and diving team.
Opened in May 2016, the new 62,000 square feet expansion of the Cohon Center contains multi-purpose space to enhance campus life for students, faculty and staff. The expansion houses two exercise studios, a cycling studio, and the Maureen B. Cohon Cardio Fitness Center on the second floor with men's and women's locker rooms and the strength center including free weight and selectorized equipment on the first floor.
Important Fitness Center and Group X Policies
- A valid Carnegie Mellon ID is required to use the recreational facilities in the Cohon University Center.
- Please follow all rules posted in the facilities.
- Fitness Users/Group X users: Please clean equipment when done - wipes are available around the facility. All users must wear proper athletic attire and tennis shoes when in all athletic facilities or taking PE or Group X classes.
- No food or drink permitted around machines or in studios.
- NO CHALK permitted in Fitness Center.
- Locker rentals and towel service is available for purchase. Please see our recreation services page.
- Please see the facility hours page for hours of operation.