#23 Tartans Start Dual Season with 6-3 Win at Oberlin
(OBERLIN, Ohio) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's tennis team traveled to Oberlin, Ohio, to kick off the spring semester season with an indoor match against Oberlin College at Court One Tennis in Sandusky, Ohio. It was the first dual match of the season for the 23rd-ranked Tartans who topped the Yeomen, 6-3.
How it Happened
- The Tartans took a 2-1 lead after doubles with wins at the first and third positions.
- Junior Jaden D'Abreo was first to finish singles play with a 6-0, 6-1 win at the fifth position.
- Junior Derek Wong put the Tartans one point away from winning the match with a 6-1, 6-2 win at sixth singles.
- Junior Nicholas Wernink earned match point at second singles after a three-set score of 6-4, 2-6, 6-1.
- Sophomore William Wang closed the match with a 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) win at third singles.
- The win for Wong makes him 4-0 in singles play this year.
- Senior Matthew Poh and Wernink won 8-4 at first doubles for their first win as a pair.
- Wong and freshman Akshay Joshi paired for their first win together at third doubles, 8-5.
Thoughts from Head Coach Mike Belmonte
"Oberlin is always a great early season test for us because they are a smart, hard-playing team who forces us to beat them. Although we have a lot of work to do to get where we want to be, I was proud of the guys who stepped up and earned us a good win on the road to start the season."
The Tartans will play an exhibition match against Division I Duquesne University on Friday, February 10 before traveling to Erie, Pennsylvania, for a 12:00 p.m. match against Division II Edinboro University.