Tartans Host Invitational, Win 10 Singles Matches
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's tennis team hosted its annual invitational on Friday, September 22 and Saturday, September 23 with Duquesne University, Saint Francis University, and Edinboro University joining the Tartans in competition.
Highlights of Singles Play
- The Tartans won five singles matches on Friday night against opponents from each of the participating schools.
- Junior Chaitanya Irkar topped Duquense's Chris Cianciotti by a 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3) score while senior Nicholas Wernink topped Bode Vance of Duquense, 6-0, 6-4.
- Freshman Theodore Gershon won 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) against Zach Palko of Saint Francis.
- Junior William Wang and freshman Jonathan Gu each defeated players from Edinboro with Wang winning 6-1, 7-5, and Gu winning by retirement after leading 7-6 (7-5) and 1-0.
- The Tartans won five of seven singles matches that were played on Saturday before the rain shortened the day.
- Both Gershon and Gu won for the second time on the weekend with Gershon winning 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 1-0 (10-4) and Gu, 6-2, 6-1.
Highlights of Doubles Play
- Two Tartan pairs won matches on Friday evening.
- Senior Jaden D'Abreo partnered with Gershon to win 6-3 against Palko and Matt Kozar of Saint Francis.
- Freshmen Raghav Jangbahadur and Daniel Kong topped Stanislas Noel and Thibault Dorval of Edinboro by a 6-2 score on Friday and then paired to defeat Patrick Reese and Kevin Kruzel of Saint Francis by a 6-4 score on Saturday.
- Sophomore Akshay Joshi and senior Derek Wong picked up a 7-6 (7-1) win on Saturday against a pair from Saint Francis.
The Tartans will travel to Fredericksburg, Virginia, for the ITA Regionals on Friday, September 29 through Sunday, October 1.