Tartans Take Second at UAA Indoor Championships, Ivanov Sets UAA 800-Meter Record
(WALTHAM, Mass.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team placed second at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Indoor Track and Field Championships hosted by Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. The Tartans scored 140.33 points to finish behind Washington University in St. Louis with 144 points.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Juniors Alex Ivanov and Andrew McGovern swept the top two spots in the 800-meter run with times of 1:51.40 and 1:51.65. Ivanov's time sets a new UAA record that was held by Geoff Getz of Brandeis set in 1999 of 1:51.65 while McGovern tied Getz.
- Senior Alex Halkias won the 200-meter dash with a personal-best indoor time of 22.27. The senior also placed sixth in the 60-meter dash with a personal-best time of 7.04.
- In the mile run, sophomore Aleksei Seletskiy took second with a time of 4:17.05 and junior Jacob Hsu placing third with a personal-best time 4:17.50.
- Junior Thomas Rich and sophomore Micah Nowlin ran in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles with Rich crossing in 8.47 to place third and Nowlin tying his career-best time of 8.72 to finish seventh.
- Senior Elijah Sech and sophomore Colin McLaughlin ran the 3,000-meter race and finished fifth and sixth with times of 8:26.73 and 8:29.54, respectively.
- Senior Verne Garin took eighth place in the 60-meter dash crossing in 7.09.
Top Performances in the Field:
- The shot put saw the Tartans take three of the top five spots with senior Bailey O'Malley leading the Tartans with a second place showing after tossing the element 15.01 meters. Sophomore Cody Breidenbach placed fourth with a toss of 13.56 meters and freshman Sam Alligood took fifth with a mark of 13.07 meters.
- Sophomores Luke Blackwell and Sebastian Sanso placed sixth and seventh, respectively, in the triple jumps. Blackwell jumped 13.58 meters with Sanso jumping 13.02 meters.
- Freshman Christian Duckworth placed sixth in the pole vault clearing 4.19 meters.
- The Tartans will next compete at the All-Atlantic Regional Championships on March 3-4.