Posted: Apr 08, 2023
Tartans Win Seven Events at Westminster Invitational, Rich Competes at Susquehanna Multi
(NEW WILMINGTON, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team competed at the Westminster Invitational on Saturday with junior Thomas Rich competing in the decathlon at the Susquehanna Multi on Thursday and Friday.
Rich's Performance at Susquehanna:
- Rich won the decathlon with a school record 6,556 points which breaks his own record of 6,464 set last season.
- The junior won pole vault, long jump and shot put with career-best marks. He cleared the bar at 3.85 meters in the pole vault, jumped 7.08 meters in the long jump and tossed the element 12.32 meters in the shot put.
- Rich placed second in the 110-meter hurdles with a personal-best time of 15.32 and then threw the discus 33.65 meters to take second.
Top Performances on the Track at Westminster:
- The Cardinal and Gray swept the top three spots in the 5,000-meter run with freshman Ryan Podnar crossing first with a time of 14:51.75. Junior Charlie Murphy crossed second followed by senior Zachary Nowak with times of 14:53.06 and 15:18.22.
- The 800-meter run also saw the Tartans sweep the top three spots, as junior Alex Ivanov won the race with a time of 1:52.82. Senior Leland Davies took second with a personal-best time of 1:53.58 and junior Jackson Woods crossed third in 1:56.72.
- Junior Andrew McGovern won the 400-meter hurdles with a season-best time of 52.83.
- Senior Alex Halkias turned in a season-best time of 21.88 to win the 200-meter dash.
- Sophomore Seth Williams won the 300-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:01.95 while freshman Kenji Tella placed third in 10:09.30.
- Freshman Gaven Williams placed second in the 400-meter race after crossing in a season-best time of 50:48.
- The running events closed with the 4x400-meter relay team of Gaven Williams, Davies, Ivanov and McGovern placing first with a time of 3:20.91.
Top Performances in the Field at Westminster:
- Freshman Christian Duckworth and sophomore Casey Potrebic placed first and second in the pole vault. Duckworth cleared the bar at 4.21 meters with Potrebic clearing it at 4.06 meters.
- Sophomore Cody Breidenbach took second on the hammer throw with a mark of 52.05 meters.
- In the shot put, senior Bailey O'Malley placed third with a distance of 15.22 meters. He then took third in the discus with a personal-best throw of 42.13 meters.
- Sophomore Sebastian Sanso jumped 12.46 meters to place third in the triple jump. Sanso also took third in the high jump clearing the bar at 1.90 meters, tying a personal-best.
- The Tartans will next compete at the Carnegie Mellon Last Chance Meet Thursday, April 13.