Tartans Open Indoor Season
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's indoor track and field team opened its 2023-2024 season competing at two different meets over the weekend. On Friday the Cardinal and Gray had members compete at the Youngstown State University Icebreaker while others took part in the 10th Annual Spartan Holiday Classic at Case Western Reserve University on Saturday.
Top Performances at Youngstown:
- Senior Andrew McGovern won the 800-meter run in a field of 52 runners with a time of 1:54.31.
- Senior David Durdaller finished second in a field of 49 runners in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 14:54.72.
- In his first collegiate track and field meet, freshman Matthew Short placed second in the mile run with a time of 4:13.61, as the field was comprised of 41 runners.
- The weigh throw saw junior Cody Breidenbach take second with a toss of 18.12 meters.
Top Performances at Case Western Reserve:
- The mile run saw a pair of freshmen, Christian Brower and Nathan Massie, place first and second with times of 4:26,74 and 4:30.96, respectively.
- Senior Thomas Rich won the 60-meter hurdles crossing in 8.40.
- Freshman Matthew Yu took third in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.88 while he also placed fourth in the 60-meter dash crossing in 7.03.
- Junior Seth Williams and freshman Angelo Parrino finished first and second in the 3,000-meter run. Wiliams crossed in 8:59.48 and Parrino in 9:02.73.
- Sophomore Morgan Johnson recorded a career-best jump of 6.65 meters to place second in the long jump.
- A cleared height of 4.27 meters in the pole vault by junior Casey Potrebic placed him second.
- The Tartans will compete again at the Spire Midwest Open on Saturday, January 20.