Tartans Split Late Afternoon Double Bill
(WINTER HAVEN, Fla.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team topped Johnson & Wales University by a 13-11 score on Monday afternoon before dropping a back-and-forth contest to Penn State Behrend by a 4-3 score in the evening. The Tartans are now 2-4 to start the year.
Against Johnson & Wales
- The Tartans led 12-2 after the third inning.
- Johnson & Wales put eight runs on the board in the top of the fourth inning.
- Carnegie Mellon added a run in the bottom of the fifth and surrendered one run in the top of the seventh.
- Sophomore Faith Lawrence was 4-for-4 at the plate with five RBIs and two runs scored.
- Junior Erika Heffernen was 3-for-3 with two RBIs.
- Freshman Kira Monji, senior Piper Johnson, and sophomore Libby Eichberger each had two hits.
- Junior Amanda Smith pitched 3.1 innings of relief work, entering the game with two outs and a runner on third in the fourth inning. She finished with four strikeouts and relinquished one run on three hits to earn the win.
Against Penn State Behrend
- The Tartans started the game with a run in the top of the first inning when freshman Kyr Brenneman singled up the middle to plate junior Kiera Boucher who was on second after singling and advancing on a wild pitch.
- Behrend tied it with a home run in the bottom of the first.
- The Tartans scored twice in the top of the second with sophomore Abbey Reese and Monji each recording RBI singles.
- Behrend answered with one run in the second but were kept short of tying the game when Boucher threw out a runner at the plate trying to score from second.
- Behrend added runs in the fourth and fifth innings and the Tartans stranded a runner in the seventh after Monji singled to lead off the inning.
- The five RBIs by Lawrence against Johnson & Wales is the most in a single game this season by a Tartan and ranks tied for third in program history.
- Monji recorded two hits in a game for the fourth time this season and hit her second double of the season against Johnson & Wales.
The Tartans return to action on Tuesday morning with a 9:00 a.m. game against Penn State Berks and an 11:30 a.m. game against Wentworth.