Posted: Mar 09, 2023
Hitting Streaks Highlight Softball Split in Florida
(AUBURNDALE, Fla.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team moved its record to 5-5 after a 6-4 victory against Heidelberg University and a 8-7 defeat to Marietta College on Thursday, March 9.
- The Tartans trailed 3-0 before putting two runs on the board in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Both runs in the fourth scored with two outs when sophomore Libby Eichberger reached on a throwing error that plated senior Piper Johnson who reached on a single and freshman Haley Pucci who pinch ran for senior Emily Finger after she singled.
- The Tartans tied the game at 3-all with another run with two outs.
- Heidelberg took a one-run lead in the top of the sixth on a sacrifice fly.
- A three-run sixth inning gave the Tartans a 6-4 lead.
- Eichberger led off the inning with a double but was thrown out trying to stretch it to a triple.
- Freshman Kira Monji doubled, advanced to third on a wild pitch and then scored on an infield single to shortstop by junior Kiera Boucher.
- After a walk to sophomore Abbey Reese, sophomore Faith Lawrence singled to first base as Boucher scored from second.
- The third run of the inning came on a sacrifice fly to left field by junior Erika Heffernen.
- Junior Amanda Smith earned the complete-game victory with nine strikeouts, two coming as the final two outs of the game.
- Monji, Boucher, Lawrence, and Finger each recorded two hits in the game.
- The Tartans led 6-4 before a four-run fourth inning for Marietta.
- The Tartans made it 8-7 in the sixth and stranded a runner at third in the seventh.
- Five Tartans collected at least two hits with freshman Koko Sagae recording a season-best three hits including her first career double.
- Monji tripled in the first inning, scored a run, and singled in a run in the second inning.
- Heffernen doubled in the second inning and third inning, with her second double plating two runners.
- Freshman Grace Fujino pitched 3.0 innings in relief, scattering three hits with four strikeouts.
- Monji's two hits in both games extended her multi-hit game streak to six and total multi-hit games to eight for the season.
- The multi-game hit streak for Monji is a program record.
- Boucher is riding a 10-game hitting streak to open the season.
- Monji, Eichberger, and Heffernen each have a six-game hitting streak.
The Tartans will finish their spring break games on Friday, March 10 with a 9:00 a.m. contest against Muskingum University and an 11:30 a.m. contest against Allegheny College.