Tartans Sweep Chatham in First-Ever Meeting
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team played Chatham University in a midweek doubleheader on Tuesday, March 21, topping the Cougars 12-1 in six innings and 5-1 to move to 8-6 for the season.
- Junior Kiera Boucher plated three runs and scored three herself while doubling twice.
- Freshman Kira Monji was 4-for-4 at the plate with a double and a triple and scored three runs.
- Four others recorded two hits: sophomore Faith Lawrence, sophomore Abbey Reese, freshman Kyra Brenneman, and senior Emily Finger.
- Freshman Grace Fujino pitched the complete game scattering three hits while giving up one run and striking out two.
- Junior Amanda Smith struck out eight batters on her way to a complete game victory and her fifth win of the season.
- Boucher stayed hot at the plate and recorded another three hits and scored three of the team's five runs.
- Lawrence picked up two RBIs with the first coming in the first inning when she tripled and the second coming in the third inning on a ground out to second base.
- The Tartans have now scored in the first inning in seven games after scoring three runs in game one and one run in game two to leadoff each game.
- Boucher has recorded at least one hit in 13 of 14 games this season.
- Monji and junior Erika Heffernen extended their hitting streaks to 10 games.
The Tartans will open University Athletic Association play with a four-game series at Brandeis University beginning on Friday, March 24 at 3:00 p.m.