Tartans Win Second Straight, Top Capital at Home
|Game Statistics||Capital||Carnegie Mellon|
|Field Goal %||36.2%||44.9%|
|Pts off Turnovers||12||17|
|2nd Chance Pts||13||10|
|Pts in the Paint||24||34|
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's basketball team moved its record to 3-1 on Saturday, November 18, with a five-point win against Capital University. A fourth-quarter comeback gave the Tartans what they needed after the Comets outscored the Tartans in the second and third quarters.
How It Happened
- After seven missed shots, the Tartans got on board with a jump shot by freshman Kayla Delmore, followed by a layup by sophomore Piper Ligotti.
- The Comets answered with back-to-back three-point jump shots, making the score 6-4 until 3:40 remained on the clock in the first quarter.
- The first quarter ended with an 11-2 run by the Tartans.
- The Tartans kept the lead the entire second quarter, with sophomore Ava Arias getting four rebounds, two blocks and two made shots after she reentered the quarter in the fifth minute.
- The Comets took back the lead with a 5-0 run to start the third quarter. There were five lead changes and six ties in the third quarter with Capital holding a one-point advantage after Samaree Perkins hit a layup to close the frame.
- Delmore hit her fifth three-pointer of the game to tie the score at 76-all with 4:38 to play, sparking the final run of the game by the Tartans.
For the Tartans
- Delmore led the Tartans with a career-best 19 points after scoring the first basket of the game. She also collected a career-best five rebounds.
- Sophomore Savannah Gibbs was 6-of-10 from the field with 13 points and led the team with 12 rebounds and a career-best eight assists.
- Junior Isha Nambisan and Arias got two blocks, the most for the team.
- Ligotti collected three steals and a career-best five assists.
For the Comets
- Laney Murphy led offensively with 22 points, followed by Jenna Horsley with 15.
- Perkins collected 10 rebounds, followed by Demi Brewer and Bri-O Connor with six.
- Brewer also collected four assists.
- Tahirah Ellis had three blocks.
The Tartans will host The University of Pitt-Greensburg on Tuesday, November 21 at 5:30 p.m.