Three School Records Set at Opening Day of UAA Indoor Championships
(WALTHAM, Mass.) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's track and field team competed at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Indoor Championships on Saturday. The two-day championship meet is being hosted by Brandeis University in Waltham, Massachusetts. The Tartans have 20 points and are currently fourth heading into the final day.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Senior Ola Owodunni placed third in the weight throw with a school record mark of 15.57 meters. She tops Katie Marcoux's mark of 14.14 meters set in 2005.
- Senior Liz Barre won the long jump with a school record jump of 5.57 meters. The senior broke the mark of 5.51 meters set by Sasha Spalding set in 2015.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Senior Samantha Giordani qualified for the finals of the 60-meter dash and 200-meter dash with times of 7.69 and 25.09. Her time in the 60-meter dash broke her previous school record time of 7.75 set this season.
- Junior Isabella Rhee will run in the finals of the 400-meter race after qualifying with a time of 1:00.58.
- Barre crossed the finish line in 8.92 in the 60-metr hurdles to land a spot in the finals.
- The final day of the championships will begin at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, February 26.