Tartans Top #9 WashU to Place Fifth at UAA Championship
(ATLANTA, Ga.) – The Carnegie Mellon University volleyball team placed fifth at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on Saturday after a 3-1 victory against ninth-ranked Washington University in St Louis. The championship tournament was hosted by Emory University and the Tartans finished the regular season with a 23-8 record.
Inside the Box Score
- The Tartans dropped the first set 25-19 but came back strong with three straight wins, 25-21 in the second, 25-19 in the third, and a smashing 25-14 win in the fourth set.
- The Tartans had a total of 48 kills and hit .209 for the match.
- Sophomore Elizabeth Schlemmer led with 14 kills while senior Jane Dean hit .381 and had 10 kills.
- Senior Mindee Lai collected 28 assists with freshman Neha Tummala picking up 11 assists.
- Junior Abby Chen led with 24 digs, as senior Laura Reichard had 17 digs.
- The Tartans had eight service aces with Reichard leading with three and Lai and Tummala each having two.
- At the net, Schlemmer had four block assists while freshman Elizabeth Phillips had three block solos and four block assists.
- The win against WashU is the second time in three years the Tartans topped the Bears in the UAA tournament.