Tartans Drop 66-62 Contest to Bowdoin
(MIDDLEBURY, Vt.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's basketball team played Bowdoin College in the second day of the 2023 UAA Challenge on Sunday at Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont and dropped a 66-62 decision to the Polar Bears.
Carnegie Mellon 62, Bowdoin 66
Records: Carnegie Mellon (7-2), Bowdoin (4-5)
Location: Middlebury, Vt. (Pepin Gymnasium)
How it Happened
- Three minutes into the contest the Tartans led 7-2 following a layup by junior Nolan Casey, but Bowdoin scored the next 12 points and took a 14-7 lead at the 13:05 mark.
- Over the next six minutes the Tartans slowly chipped into the Polar Bears lead and then grabbed a one-point lead, 20-19, when junior Lucas Pavlounis converted a layup off a pass from sophomore Justin Allen.
- The Tartans lead was short lived, as Afamdi Achufusi scored on the next possession down the court for Bowdoin, and the Polars Bears continued to hold the lead the rest of the first half before taking a 36-29 advantage into the break.
- Carnegie Mellon trailed 42-34 five minutes into the second half and then used a 13-3 run over a four-minute stretch to take a 47-45 lead.
- Bowdoin answered the Tartans run by scoring the next seven points and never trailed the rest of the contest.
- The Tartans shot a season-low 33.9% from the floor while converting 8-of-20 from long range for 40%.
- Sophomore Buckley DeJardin led a trio of Tartans to score in double figures with 15 points.
- Allen ended the game with 13 points while senior R.J. Holmes chipped in with 12 points and grabbed a team-best seven rebounds.
- Junior Aidan Booher tied a career-high with four assists to lead the Cardinal and Gray.
Polar Bear Stats
- Bowdoin shot 48.1% from the floor and connected on 7-of-18 from behind the arc for 38.9%.
- Alex Halpern led the Polar Bears with 13 points while Ben Chilson and Michael Simonds ended with 12 and 10 points, respectively.
- Kevin Reeves led all players with nine rebounds.
- The series is now tied at 1-1.
- Allen and DeJardin have scored in double figures in all nine contests this season.
- Carnegie Mellon will host Chatham University on Tuesday, December 19 with a tip at 12:00 p.m.