Tartans Place Sixth at Gate City Invitational
(GREENSBORO, N.C.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's golf team completed play at the Gate City Invitational on Tuesday. The 54-hole event was played at Starmount Forest Country Club in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Tartans carded a 289 in the final round to place sixth in a field of 17 teams with an 872 (292-291-289).
Inside the Invitational:
Tournament Finsh: 6th of 17 Teams
Tournament Team Champion: Guilford College (852 (283-287-282))
Tournament Individual Medalist: Michael Vick, Guilford College (-9)
Location: Starmount Country Club - Starmount Forest | Greensboro, N.C.
How it Happened:
- Freshman David Zhang followed his back-to-back rounds of even par on Monday with a one-over 72 in the final round. The freshman tied for 12th individually in a field of 90 golfers with a 214.
- Junior Brian Xu shot a two-over par 73 in the final round for a 219 (75-71-73).
- Graduate student Henry Scavone carded his best round of the invitational on Tuesday when he turned in an even par 71 for a 54-hole score of 220 (76-73-71).
- A two-over par 73 was also shot by sophomore Justin Chan in the third round as he ended with a 220 (70-77-73).
- Tuesday saw junior Stephen Dai match his collegiate-best round of five-over 76 as he ended the invitational with a 229 (77-76-76).
- The Tartans will compete next at the NCAA Preview on October 2-4 at Keene Trace Golf Club in Nicholasville, Kentucky.