Tartans Win First Road Game, Advance to 3-1
(NEW WILMINGTON, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team played its first road game of the season and topped Westminster College by a 1-0 score to move to 3-1. The Titans are now 0-1-3.
Inside The Box Score
- Junior Ethan Vertal scored the only goal of the game in the 40th minute with a shot high to the right side of the goal.
- Sophomore Brendan Schonwetter earned the assist on the goal with a pass into the box to Vertal who received the pass between two defenders and turned with a touch and fired off the shot.
- The Tartans put seven of their 17 shots on goal.
- Freshman Kai Yamamoto earned his first victory and the shutout by making one save which came in the second minute of the game.
- The Titans hit the crossbar in the 87th minute off a header by Peyton Pauline following a corner kick to the back post.
- Senior William Rabon put two shots on goal.
- Vertal now has three career goals against Westminster after he scored twice against the Titans last year.
The Tartans will stay on the road and play Washington and Jefferson College on Wednesday, September 13 at 8:00 p.m.