Three Tartans Score in Victory Versus Marietta
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team hosted Marietta College on Saturday, September 23, and topped the Pioneers by a 3-0 score to advance to 6-1-1 for the season. The Pioneers fall to 2-6-1.
Inside The Box Score
- The Tartans put eight shots on goal with four coming in the first half, including the game's first goal by junior Jake Slackman in the 43rd minute.
- Slackman's second goal of the season came off a double-assisted play by senior Ethan Vertal and senior William Rabon. Rabon started the play with a centering pass to the six-yard box that Vertal touch to his right for Slackman to spin and fire a right-footed shot to the left side netting.
- The Tartans added a goal in the 52nd minute when senior Diederik Schlingemann tapped in a rebound after senior Alejandro Fernandez put a free kick low at the keeper who couldn't hold onto the ball in the rain.
- Just over three minutes later, sophomore Zach Schonwetter knocked a shot off the inside of the left post to score his first goal of the season.
- Senior Josh Baugh was credited with an assist on Schonwetter's goal after a long split pass through the defense was controlled by Schonwetter before a couple dribbles to his right and then the shot.
- Freshman Kai Yamamoto earned the shutout after making four saves.
- Schlingemann's goal marked his second for the week after he tied the game on Wednesday against Mount Aloysius College.
- Baugh has recorded points for the Tartans in five of the seven games he's played this season and leads the team in points with 13.
- Schonwetter's goal was the first for his career.
The Tartans hit the road to play at Juniata College on Tuesday, September 26 at 7:30 p.m.