Eight Make the Podium on Third Day of UAA Championships
(ATLANTA, Ga.) – The Carnegie Mellon University men's swimming and diving team continued competition at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championships on Friday, February 10 with seven events. The Tartans remain in third place with 901 points with one day left to compete.
- The Kyle twins placed second and third on the 3-meter diving board.
- Graduate student Jud Kyle placed second with 559.05 points while James Kyle was third with 530.50 points.
- Senior Matthew Wagner also made the podium in the 3-meter diving event, finishing eighth with 386.15 points.
- Freshman Arnav Deshpande just missed a medal with a fourth-place showing in the 100-yard backstroke in 48.53.
- The 200-yard medley relay placed fourth in 1:29.79.
- Freshman Max Kulbida placed sixth in the 100-yard breaststroke in 55.54, a career-best mark and NCAA provisional qualifying time.
- Junior Santiago Gomez earned a seventh-place finish in the 400-yard IM in 3:59.12, a new career-best time and NCAA provisional qualifying time.
- Two swam in the championship final of the 100-yard butterfly with senior Aleksander Tarczynski finishing sixth in 49.14 and freshman Nick Schmid finishing seventh in 49.27.
- Senior Erik Feldmann touched 15th in the 200-yard freestyle in 1:40.70 to lead the Tartans.