Tartans Set Three School Records on First Night of Total Performance Invite
(GAMBIER, Ohio) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's swimming team began the 2023 Total Performance Invite at Kenyon College on Thursday, November 16. Preliminaries were at 11:00 a.m. with finals at 6:00 p.m., with the Tartans scoring 427 points which puts them in second place with two days remaining.
- The 400-yard medley relay of sophomore Arnav Deshpande, junior Christian Lanuza, graduate student Aleksander Tarczynski, and sophomore DJ Lloyd placed second with a time of 3.15.29.
- The 200-yard freestyle relay of Tarczynski, freshman Brayden Morford, Deshpande, and Lloyd placed second with a time of 1.20.19, just 1.48 seconds behind the first-place team from Kenyon College.
- Five Tartans swam in the B-Final of the 500-yard freestyle with graduate student Willem Goedecke winning the heat in 4:33.65.
- Freshman Andy Lu was the top finisher for the Tartans in the 200-yard IM, placing fifth in 1:52.18.
- Lloyd placed first in the 50-yard freestyle, scoring 36 points for the team with a time of 20.15, topping his own school record set two weeks ago.
- Three others joined Lloyd in the A-Final of the 50-yard freestyle with Deshpande touching fifth in 20.40, Tarczynski eighth in 20.48, and Morford ninth in 20.86.
- Both relay times set new school records.
The Tartans will continue at Kenyon College this weekend in the Top Performance Invite this Friday, November 17 at 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and Saturday, November 18 at 10:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.