Tartans Drop a Pair in Second Outing
(WINTER HAVEN, Fla.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team dropped a pair of games on Saturday, March 4 to Bridgewater College and second-ranked Trine University. The Tartans fell to Bridgewater, 11-7, and #2 Trine, 17-3. The Tartans are now 1-3 to start the year.
- Bridgewater jumped out to an 8-0 lead.
- With the score 9-1 in the bottom of the fourth, the Tartans scored five runs on 1 hit and two errors to make it 9-6.
- Bridgewater scored a run in the fifth and sixth innings to lead 11-6 before the Tartans added a seventh run in the sixth inning.
- The Tartans stranded runners on second and third in the seventh inning and left a total of 10 runners on base.
- Junior Kiera Boucher knocked in three runs including two in the fourth inning.
- Freshman Kira Monji recorded two hits for the second straight game and scored two runs.
- Boucher and Monji each stole two bases.
- Junior Amanda Smith struck out five batters in 4.2 innings of relief work.
Against #2 Trine
- Freshman Kyr Brenneman singled in two runs in the top of the fourth for the Tartans to break up the shutout and make it 15-2. She later stole second and then scored from third on a wild pitch.
- Sophomore Emma Martin picked up the Tartans' first hit.
- Boucher hit safely for the fourth straight game and scored a run.
- Sophomore Olivia Van Zandt pinch hit in the fourth inning and singled.
The Tartans have off on Sunday, March 5 and return to action at 2:00 p.m. on Monday, March 6 against Johnson & Wales and 4:30 p.m. against Penn State Behrend.