Tartans Sweep Day 4 Action in Florida; Reese Hits First Home Run
(WINTER HAVEN, Fla.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team started its fourth day of games in Florida with a 14-5 victory against Penn State Berks in six innings before topping Wentworth by an 11-1 score in five innings. The daily sweep moves the Tartans record to 4-4 while Berks dropped to 3-2 and Wentworth to 5-1.
Against Penn State Berks
- The Tartans pounded out 22 hits, one shy of tying the school record for hits in a game.
- Seven players recorded at least two hits with junior Kiera Boucher leading the team with a 4-for-4 effort.
- Sophomore Abbey Reese hit the team's first home run of the season and recorded six RBIs with three hits at the plate, including a double.
- Sophomore Faith Lawrence also hit a home run in the game while Boucher recorded a triple.
- Two of Reese's RBIs came on ground outs to second.
- With the Tartans trailing 4-1, the Cardinal and Gray put three runs on the board in the fourth inning with four hits and one error by Berks.
- The big inning for the Tartans was the fifth when they scored six runs off seven hits. Four of the hits were extra-base hits.
- Freshman Grace Fujino earned her first victory by pitching 3.2 innings of relief work.
- Freshman Kira Monji continued her multi-hit streak with a 3-for-3 performance at the plate in the leadoff position for the Tartans. She also recorded her fourth straight game with a double.
- Freshman Koko Sagae also recorded two hits while seven other players hit safely.
- Sophomore Allie Rome knocked in two runs with a double in the first inning, as the Tartans scored seven to start the game.
- The Tartans added four runs on five hits in the third inning to lead 11-1.
- Junior Amanda Smith earned her second win of the season with four strikeouts while allowing five hits.
The Tartans have off on Wednesday, March 7 and return to action at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 8 against Heidelberg and 11:30 a.m. against Marietta.