Posted: Mar 10, 2023
Fujino’s Shutout Closes Spring Break Games for Tartans
(WINTER HAVEN, Fla.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team is 6-6 after a 9-3 defeat to Muskingum University (7-2) and a 5-0 victory against Allegheny College (8-4) on its last day of games in Florida on Friday, March 10.
- Junior Erika Heffernen, sophomore Libby Eichberger, and freshman Kira Monji all recorded two hits.
- Heffernen doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs.
- The Tartans scored in the top of the first inning when Monji walked, stole second, and later scored on a passed ball.
- The other two runs for the Tartans came in the fifth and seventh innings.
- Freshman Grace Fujino earned the first shutout of the season for the Tartans, pitching 6.0 innings. She scattered three hits and struck out eight batters for her second win.
- The Tartans plated two runs in the third inning with junior Kiera Boucher and Eichberger collecting RBIs.
- The Tartans put two more runs on the board in the fourth inning with Boucher singling in two more.
- The fifth run was added in the fifth inning when Eichberger singled up the middle to score sophomore Faith Lawrence who led off the inning with a double.
- Monji picked up another pair of hits and scored two runs.
- Boucher also had two hits while Eichberger had three.
- Monji now has an eight-game multi-hit streak which continues to top the program's records book.
- Heffernen and Eichberger join Monji with eight-game hitting streaks.
- Fujino's shutout is the eighth in program history.
The Tartans will play their first home series of the year with a double header against Kenyon College scheduled for Saturday, March 18 beginning at 1:00 p.m.