Tartans Drop 1-0 Contest at Brandeis
(WALTHAM, Mass.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team fell 1-0 at Brandeis University on Saturday, March 25. The Tartans are now 0-3 in University Athletic Association (UAA) play and 8-9 overall. Brandeis improves to 8-1 overall and 3-0.
How it Happened
- Brandeis put the only run across the plate in the second inning when L Medici hit a sacrifice fly to right field.
- The Tartans had the chance to equalize in the top of the third when senior Piper Johnson singled and advanced from first to third on a single by junior Erika Heffernen with one out.
- Brandeis eliminated Johnson when she got in a rundown when Heffernen attempted to steal second. Heffernen advanced to third on the play but was thrown out at home on the next play when freshman Kira Monji hit it to third.
- Freshman Grace Fujino, who entered the game with two outs in the first inning, gave up a hit in the fourth but did not surrender any more runs.
- Freshman Haley Pucci entered to pitch in the sixth and gave up one hit before stranding two runners on base.
- Monji's hitting streak was snapped at 12 games.
The four-game series will conclude on Sunday at 11 a.m.