Tartans Sweep NYU in First UAA Home Games
(CRANBERRY TWP., Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team swept a pair of games against New York University (NYU) on Saturday, April 1 at Seneca Valley High School in Cranberry Twp., Pennsylvania. The Tartans took game one by a 7-1 score after waiting through an hour storm delay and won game two 3-1 to move to 10-12 for the year and 2-4 in the University Athletic Association (UAA). The Violets are now 13-7 and 2-4.
- The Tartans put four runs on the board in the bottom of the third inning via six hits.
- Junior Erika Heffernen led off with a single, sophomore Libby Eichberger followed with a single, and freshman Kira Monji hit a single to right field that plated Heffernen for the first run.
- Junior Kiera Boucher doubled up the middle as the ball hit the second base bag and two runs scored.
- Freshman Koko Sagae singled up the middle to score Boucher for the fourth run of the inning.
- The Tartans put two runs on the board in the sixth inning before a lightning delay suspended play with one out and the bases loaded.
- The Tartans loaded the bases with one out and Eichberger hit a single to second to score senior Piper Johnson. Monji followed with a single up the middle to score senior Emily Finger who reached on a single.
- Junior Amanda Smith scattered four hits and gave up one run with seven strikeouts to earn her sixth win of the season.
- Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the fifth, the Tartans put three runs on the board with two hits.
- Eichberger led off the inning with a single and Monji ripped a line drive down the left field line and past the diving left fielder and ran around all three bases to touch home for the home run.
- With runners on first and second, freshman Kyr Brenneman hit it to the shortstop who couldn't field it cleanly resulting in sophomore Abbey Reese rounding third for the insurance run.
- Freshman Grace Fujino retired the side in the sixth inning and left two runners on base in the seventh getting the last two batters to fly out to left field.
- Heffernen made eight outs in left field for the Tartans
- Monji finished with two hits and two RBIs while Eichberger also had two hits.
- Fujino earned her fourth win of the season and her third complete game.
The series with NYU will continue on Sunday with a doubleheader starting at 11:30 a.m. at Seneca Valley High School.