Tartans Sweep Wooster to Even Record
(TRAFFORD, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team swept a doubleheader against the College of Wooster on Tuesday, April 4 with a 7-2 game-one victory and a 10-2 victory in five innings for game two. The Tartans are now 13-13 overall while the Fighting Scots move to 12-8.
- The Tartans knocked around nine hits with two coming from freshman Kira Monji, sophomore Abbey Reese, and senior Emily Finger.
- The Tartans put four runs on the board in the second inning when sophomore Libby Eichberger beat out bases loaded play at the plate, junior Erika Heffernen hit sacrifice fly to center field, and Monji hit a double to score Finger and freshman Kyr Brenneman.
- Wooster added a run in the fourth inning to make it a 4-2 game before the Tartans added two runs in the fifth and another in the sixth inning.
- In the fifth inning, Eichberger hit it to second and Johnson beat the throw home and sophomore Abbey Reese followed with a single to center field to knock in sophomore Faith Lawrence who reached on a bunt single to third.
- The final run of the game came off the bat of Johnson in the sixth inning when she singled to right center to score Heffernen who reached on a line drive single to the pitcher.
- Freshman Haley Pucci earned her first victory of the season, pitching 5.0 innings with three strikeouts and giving up two runs on four hits.
- Freshman Grace Fujino pitched two innings in relief.
- Wooster scored twice in the top of the first inning when sophomore Olivia Van Zandt gave up two runs on four hits but struck out the last out to strand two runners on base.
- The Tartans chipped away at the deficit by scoring once in the first inning when Johnson hit it to second but it wasn't fielded cleanly and Monji scored after leading off the inning with a walk and advancing to third on a single by junior Kiera Boucher.
- The Tartans tied the game in the bottom of the third inning when they tried a double steal attempt that scored Monji while Boucher got caught in a rundown.
- The Tartans broke the game open in the fourth, scoring eight runs off seven hits. All eight of the runs came with two outs.
- Boucher and Van Zandt each doubled in two runs in the fourth while Johnson, Reese, and sophomore Emma Martin each singled in a run.
- Van Zandt earned her first win of the season, pitching the complete game with four strikeouts.
The Tartans travel to St. Louis, Missouri, to play a four-game series with Washington University beginning on Friday at 3:00 p.m. CT.