Monji Sets Season Hit Record in Doubleheader with #7 Case Western Reserve
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University softball team hosted seventh-ranked Case Western Reserve University for a doubleheader on Saturday, April 15 falling 6-2 and 8-4 after the Spartans scored late in both games to secure the wins. The Tartans are now 14-20 overall and 4-12 in the University Athletic Association (UAA) while the Spartans improve to 27-2 and 13-2.
- Sophomore Libby Eichberger led the offense with three hits in four at bats and scored one of the team's runs.
- With two outs in the bottom of the second inning, a single up the middle by junior Erika Heffernen scored sophomore Faith Lawrence to tie the game at 1-1.
- The Tartans again tied the score in the bottom of the third inning with Eichberger tripled to left center and later scored on an error when junior Kiera Boucher stole second.
- The game remained tied until the sixth inning when the Spartans scored three runs off four hits.
- The Spartans added a run in the seventh inning when Isabella Russo was tagged out trying to steal but not before Kela Jagoda crossed the plate.
- Freshman Kira Monji tripled down the right field line with two outs in the seventh but was stranded to end the game.
- The Tartans had seven hits in game two with Heffernen leading the squad with two.
- Monji tripled for the second time on the day in the bottom of the third to score two runs and make the score 5-2 before she crossed the plate on a single by junior Kiera Boucher. With the hit, Monji set the season hit record with 46, passing 2022 graduate Megan Hu who collected 45 hits as a freshman in 2019.
- Both teams scored a run in the fourth inning to keep the Spartans in the lead, 6-4.
- Case Western added two runs as insurance in the seventh inning.
The Tartans will close the season at home with a four-game series against Emory University starting Friday, April 21 at 3:00 p.m.