#7 Tartans Upset in NCAA Round of 16
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The seventh-ranked Carnegie Mellon University women's soccer team battled to a 2-1 defeat in the 2022 NCAA Division III Women's Soccer Sectional Round against Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, November 19. The game marked the sixth time in nine tournament appearances that the Tartans finished as one of the top 16 teams. The Tartans close the year with a 14-3-2 record.
Inside The Box Score
- The Tartans dominated play through the first 20 minutes of the contest and put three shots on frame in the first half while the Bears had only one shot that was off the mark for the period.
- In the first two minutes of the second half, senior Alex Adams was tripped in the box, earning a penalty kick for the Tartans.
- Sophomore Gemma Jefferson converted the penalty kick for the Tartans' 1-0 lead.
- The Tartans held the lead until the 66th minute when Maggie Brett scored an unassisted goal from inside the box.
- Three minutes later, Brett chased a ball down the right side and out-paced a defender to serve a ball into the box for Ella Koleno who struck a shot to the far post for the go-ahead goal.
- Adams nearly tied the game in the 79th minute but her shot hit the crossbar.