Posted: Feb 04, 2023
Tartans Win 12 Events on Way to Sixth Straight Battle for the Obelisk Title
(CLEVELAND, Ohio) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's track and field team won the 14th Annual Battle for the Obelisk versus Case Western Reserve University. The women won the meet 81-55 over the Spartans and in a combined men's and women's score of 176-96 marking the sixth straight Obelisk title for the Tartans. The Cardinal and Gray now lead the series 10-4.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Senior Samantha Giordani won the 60-meter and 200-meter dash events for the second straight meet with times of 7.75 and 25.70, respectively. Her time in the 60-meter dash broke her previous school record time of 7.77 set last weekend.
- Senior Liz Barre claimed one of her three top finishes on the track when she crossed in 9.06 in the 60-meter hurdles.
- Junior Isabella Rhee took first in the 400-meter run crossing in 1:01.34.
- Senior Kavya Tummalapalli won the 800-meter run with a time of 2:23.28.
- Freshman Margaret Ann Healy crossed first in the mile in 5:33.17.
- The 3,000-meter run saw graduate student Kristen Seballos take first with a time of 10:56.18.
- The 5,000-meter run saw sophomore Alyssa Hoffman cross in a personal-best time of 18:28.56 to win the event.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Barre's other two top finishes came in the long jump and high jump. She won the long jump with a mark of 5.37 meters and cleared the bar at 1.65 meters.
- Sophomore Katie Monahan won the shot put with a toss of 12.16 meters.
- The Tartans will compete at the Roanoke Invitational Challenge on Saturday, February 11.