4x400 Relay Take First in Tartans Opening Weekend of Indoor Season
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University women's indoor track and field team opened its 2023-2024 season competing at two different meets over the weekend. On Friday the Cardinal and Gray had a runner compete at the Youngstown State University Icebreaker and Saturday others took part in the 10th Annual Spartan Holiday Classic at Case Western Reserve University.
Top Performances at Youngstown:
- Senior Sophia Zalewski ran the 5,000-meter race and finished with a time of 18:19.72 which placed her seventh in a field of 25 runners from Division I, II and III institutions.
Top Performances at Case Western Reserve:
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Lannen, graduate student Liz Barre, junior Sunny Tang and junior Rhythm Satav placed first with a time of 4:15.26.
- Freshman Alaina Patel won the mile run with a time of 5:34.06 with junior Hayley Kilgore crossing in 5:46.04 to place second.
- The 800-meter run had senior Emily Lannen and junior Mia Constantin placed second and third, respectively. Lannen crossed in 2:24.46 with Constantin finishing in 2:32.82.
- Junior Lauren May won the 3,000-meter run with a time of 11:07.72.
- Senior JoJo Huczko won the pole vault clearing the bar at 3.35 meters while freshman Hazel Buonopane cleared it at 3.20 meters to place third.
- Barre cleared the bar at 1.68 meters to win the high jump.
- A career-best mark of 10.92 meters in the triple jump by sophomore Iniyaa Mohanraj placed her third.
- The Tartans will compete again at the Spire Midwest Open on Saturday, January 20.