Five-Set Match Favors Otterbein in Tartans Season-Opener
(ALLIANCE, Ohio) – The Carnegie Mellon University volleyball team opened the 2022 season at the University of Mount Union Invitational against Otterbein University on Friday, September 2. The Tartans rallied to force a fifth set but fell to the now 3-0 Cardinals by a 3-2 score.
The Tartans had their best hitting performances in the two sets they won, the second and fourth, as they hit .250 and .244, respectively.
Needing to force a fifth set to stay alive, the Tartans won the fourth by a 25-17 score with 12 kills, two aces, and five blocks.
Twice the Tartans forced Otterbein into a timeout after running off five straight points with sophomore Mindee Lai serving to make it 11-7 and then four straight points with senior Stella Yan serving to make it 17-10.
Inside The Box Score
- The Carnegie Mellon blocking effort contributed to a .090 hitting percentage for Otterbein, as the Tartans recorded 11 total blocks (eight block solos and six block assists).
- Freshman Isabella Sierra recorded two block solos and two block assists in her Tartan debut
- Four players recorded double digits in digs with sophomore Abby Chen leading with 30 and junior Laura Reichard picking up 22.
- Junior Jane Dean hit .478 for the match with 11 kills
- Freshman Elizabeth Schlemmer led the team in attacks with 52 and kills with 14.
- Yan dished out 34 assists and also collected eight kills with no attack errors in 17 attempts to hit .471
Notes and Notables
- Otterbein closed last year in the NCAA tournament round of 16 with a national ranking of 15.
- The Tartans and Cardinals have twice played five-set matches with each team winning once.
The Tartans remain at the Mount Union Invitational and will face Alma College on Saturday, September 3 at noon before facing the host Raiders at 2:00 p.m.