Tartans End Mount Union Invitational with a Pair of Wins
(ALLIANCE, Ohio) – The Carnegie Mellon University volleyball team continued play at the University of Mount Union Invitational on Saturday. The Tartans opened play with a 3-2 win over Alma College before blanking the host Purple Raiders 3-0 to close play. The Cardinal and Gray are now 2-1 on the young season.
Inside The Box Score Against Alma
- A pair of freshmen led the Tartans attack with Katherine Jackson recording 13 kills and Elizabeth Schlemmer 12.
- Senior Stella Yan recorded a career-high 51 assists.
- For the second straight match, four players recorded double digits in digs with sophomore Abby Chen leading with 19 and junior Laura Reichard picking up 12. Jackson and Schlemmer added 11 and 10, respectively.
- Freshman Isabella Sierra recorded three block solos with senior Arianna Rosario tabbing two.
- Chen tied a career-high with five service aces.
Inside The Box Score Against Mount Union
- Schlemmer led the team in attacks with 47 and kills with a season-best 17.
- Reichard added 12 kills while hitting .324 over the three sets.
- Chen again was the top Tartan in digs with 17. Three other Tartans had double-digit digs marking the third time for the Tartans. Reichard had 15, junior Mindee Lai had 13 and Yan ended with 12.
- Yan handed out 35 assists in the win.
- Five different Tartans recorded an ace with Yan and Chen each having two.
Notes and Notables
- Chen was named to the All-Tournament Team.
- The Tartans have now played two five-set matches in their first three. The 2021 Tartans played eight.
- The win over Mount Union marks the Tartans eighth straight over the Purple Raiders and the sixth straight 3-0 victory.
Thoughts From Head Coach Anne Bock
- "It was a great opening weekend. We did exactly what we needed to do to get the job done. We are pretty young but growing every game. The leadership from our upper class was stellar."
Thoughts From Senior Arianna Rosario
- "I am very proud of the team on our opening weekend. Even though we are a young team, we have a lot of maturity. The work we put into preseason is showing and I am excited to see how we grow throughout the season."
- The Tartans will travel to Fredericksburg, Virginia, September 9-10 to compete in the University of Mary Washington Invitational. The Tartans will open play against the host Eagles on Friday at 8:00 p.m.