Tartans Take Two on Saturday and Run Streak to Five Straight
(FREDERICKSBURG, Va.) – The Carnegie Mellon University volleyball team traveled continued play at the University of Mary Washington Invitational on Saturday and left Fredericksburg, Virginia with two additional victories. The Tartans opened play Saturday morning with a 3-1 win over the University of Scranton and the closed play with a 3-0 blanking of Christopher Newport University. The Tartans have now won five straight and run their record to 5-1.
Inside The Box Score Against Scranton
- Junior Laura Reichard was the lone Tartan to record double-digit kills, as she finished with 10.
- Freshman Bella Woodard tabbed a season-high nine kills in the win while classmate Julianna McFarland also recorded a season-high with eight.
- Senior Stella Yan recorded 26 assists.
- Senior Olivia Devereux had three service aces with freshman Elizabeth Schlemmer recording two.
- Reichard led the defense with 21 digs as sophomore Abby Chen had 20. Two other Tartans, Yan and junior Mindee Lai each had 17.
Inside The Box Score Against Christopher Newport
- Junior Jane Dean led with eight kills and Schlemmer recorded seven. Three other Tartans tabbed five kills in the win.
- Yan again led with 22 assists.
- Schlemmer led with 13 digs followed by Yan with 12, Chen with 11 and Lai with 10.
- At the net, Bean total three blocks, one solo and two assists while freshman Katherine Jackson had two block assists.
- Reichard added two aces in the win.
Thoughts From Head Coach Anne Bock
- "These were three really good teams. We demonstrated some good composure and an ability to come from behind. Abby Chen and Laura Reichard had incredible weekends. We are well prepared to enter our first UAA weekend."
Thoughts From Senior Stella Yan
- "I attribute our wins this weekend to our team's strong trust and consistency. We translated what we worked on in practice well into games, and it helped keep us in rhythm throughout the matches. I'm very proud of our growth and can't wait to see what happens next."
- The Tartans will host Point Park University on Tuesday, September 13 at 7:00 p.m.