Tartans Start Year 3-0 After Two Saturday Victories
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The Carnegie Mellon University volleyball team closed the opening weekend of competition with a 3-0 win against Elizabethtown and a 3-1 win against SUNY Geneso at the Franklin & Marshall Tournament on Saturday, September 2 to start the year with a 3-0 record.
Inside The Box Score Against Elizabethtown
- The Tartans hit .395 for the match with all 16 players on the roster seeing action.
- Senior Avani Seshiah led the squad with 12 kills while hitting .435 in 23 attempts.
- Senior Mindee Lai picked up 28 assists.
- Freshman Zoe Gavros collected four service aces.
- Sophomore Katherine Jackson led with eight digs while junior Abby Chen had seven digs.
Inside The Box Score Against Geneseo
- The Tartans attack faltered, as they hit just .164 but Geneseo hit .053.
- Jackson and senior Laura Reichard led the team with 10 kills apiece.
- Sophomore Kai Herchenroether hit .312 with eight kills.
- Lai picked up 37 assists and was one of four players with double-digit digs with 11.
- Chen finished with 11 digs while sophomore Elizabeth Schlemmer and Reichard each had 10 digs.
- Senior Jane Dean had two block solos from her middle blocker position and five kills while Herchenroether also had two block solos.
Notes and Notables
- Chen was named Most Valuable Player of the Tournament.
- Schlemmer was named to the All-Tournamnet team.
"This was a great start to our season. Our setter, Mindee Lai, demonstrated complete control of our offense while playing outstanding defense. Our serving and passing game was excellent. This is the most depth I've ever seen with our program, especially in the middle."
"Abby Chen at libero is one of the best in the country. This is a hard-working bunch and we will just continue to get better."
The Tartans will travel across Forbes Avenue to face Chatham University on Wednesday, September 6 at 7:00 p.m.