Tartans Open UAA Play with Two Victories
(CLEVELAND, Ohio) - The Carnegie Mellon University volleyball team swept the University of Rochester and won against the University of Chicago in an intense 3-1 match in the University Athletic Association Round Robin #1 on Saturday, September 23.
Inside the Box Score against Rochester.
- The Tartans won by set scores of 25-13, 25-17 and 25-16.
- The Tartans went on a seven-point streak in the first set and an eight-point streak in the third set.
- The Tartans recorded 34 kills, 14 in the first set alone, hitting a .325 for the game.
- Sophomore Kai Herchenroether led the team in kills, hitting .667, with 11 kills in 15 attempts. Followed by senior Avani Seshiah hitting .556, with five kills in nine attempts.
- Senior Mindee Lai picked up 18 assists and freshman Neha Tummala picked up eight.
- Senior Laura Reichard had three services aces and junior Abby Chen had two.
- Chen led with 17 digs while Reichard had 10.
Inside the Box Score against Chicago
- The Tartans won their first set 25-23, lost the second set 25-19, won the third set 25-17, and won the fourth set 25-22.
- Reichard led the team in kills with 18 in 49 attempts while sophomore Katherine Jackson put down 14 kills in 36 attempts.
- Lai picked up 44 assists.
- Four players collected two service aces: Elizabeth Schlemmer, Zoe Gavros, Reichard and Chen.
- Five players achieved double digits in digs: Reichard with 17, Chen with 14, Schlemmer with 13, Lai with 12, and Gavros with 10.
- Reichard now has more than 75 service aces for her career.
- Chen now has 1,160 digs for her career.
- The Tartans are now 8-0 in games against Rochester and 5-3 in games against the University of Chicago when playing in the UAA Round Robin #1.
The Tartans will take on ninth-ranked Emory University to close the first round robin at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, at 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, September 24.