Early Goal by Vertal Energizes Tartans in 6-0 Win
(MEADVILLE, Pa.) – Junior Ethan Vertal scored the opening two goals in a 6-0 victory for the Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team on the road against Allegheny College on Sunday, September 4. The Tartans are now 2-0 for the year while the Gators fall to 0-2.
Thoughts from Vertal
"In terms of how the game went, it was a complete performance by the team. We came out strong, finished strong, and it was great to keep another clean sheet away from home."
"Having the breakthrough goals today felt great and it felt like we finally put the chances we were creating away. The two crosses for my goals were perfect so I was happy to put a fitting end to them."
Inside The Box Score
- Five different players scored for the Tartans.
- Vertal opened the scoring in the 12th minute and scored again in the 35th minute off assists from freshman Matthew Cadena and senior Josh Baugh, respectively.
- The Tartans scored three goals in a 17-minute span in the second half.
- Freshman Brendan Schonwetter and sophomore Chris Lee recorded their first career goals while sophomore Jake Slackman scored the third goal of the game and the third of his career.
- Sophomore Kuba Yiadom scored an unassisted goal in the final 24 seconds of the game.
- Freshman Liam Ryan made two saves in 74 minutes of action in goal for the Tartans to record his first win after two starts.
News and Notes
- Vertal has six career goals and now has two multi-goal games for his career.
- Sophomore Alejandro Fernandez recorded two assists in the second half to run his season total to three.
The Tartans return to the field for their first home game of the season against Westminster College on Thursday, September 8 at 7:00 p.m.