#18 Tartans Run Record to 6-0 With 2-1 Home Win
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The 18th-ranked Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team won its sixth straight game with a 2-1 victory at home against Bethany College on Saturday, September 17. The Tartans are now 6-0 for the season while the Bison move to 4-2-1.
Inside The Box Score
- Sophomore Alejandro Fernandez put a shot on frame in the 18th minute following a corner kick but it was saved off the line by a defender.
- The Bison's best chance of the first half came in the 23rd minute when Lucas Puebla picked off a Tartan pass and had a one-on-one with Liam Ryan who charged off his line to cut the angle and made the save.
- The Tartans had two shots saved by the Bison keeper in the 38th minute when sophomore Jake Slackman and sophomore Jake Kavan took shots two seconds apart.
- Senior Kiran Sarvepalli broke the scoreless tie with a goal in the 51st minute. He received a ball over the top of the defense off a long service by senior Dante Mancini. Sarvepalli first's shot at Addis Salihovic was stopped but the rebound came straight to his foot for a second shot in the open frame.
- The Tartans added to the lead in the 70th minute when Slackman crossed a ball in front of the goal from the right side of the 18-yard box for freshman Matthew Cadena who headed it low at the far post for his first career goal.
- The Bison cut the deficit in half with a score in the 78th minute by Puebla after he received a cut pass through the defense by Jayzeba James.
- Prior to Puebla's goal, Sylvanus Foday hit the crossbar for the Bison in the 75th minute.
- Ryan made a save in the 89th minute off a free kick and earned his fifth win of the season.
The Tartans travel to Mount Aloysius on Wednesday, September 21 for a 7:00 p.m. contest.