#8 Tartans Battle to 1-1 Road Draw with Ohio Northern
(ADA, Ohio) – The eighth-ranked Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team traveled to Ohio Northern University and battled the Polar Bears to a 1-1 draw. The Tartans are now 7-0-1 for the season while the Polar Bears are 5-2-1.
Inside The Box Score
- Junior Ethan Vertal gave the Tartans a lead in the early minutes of the second half with a shot off a pass from senior Josh Baugh. Vertal held his run to stay onsides with a split pass from Baugh and a one-on-one with the keeper for the score.
- Vertal's shot was the third of the half for the Tartans in less than two minutes of action.
- Ohio Northern equalized 10 minutes later with a goal by Ryan Parker off a pass inside the box by Bryan Kern.
- In the 79th minute, sophomore Kuba Yiadom had a shot go wide after he attempted to tip in a chipped pass over the goalie by Vertal.
- Freshman Liam Ryan made four saves in goal for the Tartans.
- The Tartans broke up a four-game shutout streak by the Polar Bears.
- Vertal leads the Tartans and the University Athletic Association (UAA) with seven goals scored for the season.
The Tartans host Juniata College (6-3) on Wednesday, September 28 at 7:00 p.m. before opening UAA play at home on Saturday, October 1 against New York University (3-3-1) at 11:00 a.m.