#8 Tartans Remain Unbeaten at Home With 5-2 Win Against Juniata
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) – The eighth-ranked Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team continued its undefeated season at home with a 5-2 victory against Juniata College on Wednesday, September 28. The Tartans are now 8-0-1 for the season while the Eagles move to 6-4.
Inside The Box Score
- Sophomore Billy Boucuvalas played a part in the first three goals for the Tartans and started the scoring for the Tartans in the seventh minute with a crafty left-footed shot after a defender missed clearing a pass through the box by freshman Zach Schonwetter.
- Sophomore Jake Kavan put the Tartans up 2-0 in the 23rd minute after finishing a ball in the box that Boucuvalas won on the bounce that ricocheted forward to Kavan.
- Three minutes later, Boucuvalas served a corner kick toward the back post where freshman Brendan Schonwetter rose up to head it in the top corner.
- Five minutes into the second half, senior Kiran Sarvepalli scored his second goal of the season with a quick right-footed shot at the edge of the 18-yard box after he picked up the ball off a defender.
- Sophomore Jake Slackman tallied a left-footed goal after his shot deflected off a defender's foot and past the keeper in the 55th minute.
- Juniata scored twice in the final eight minutes.
- Freshman Liam Ryan made one save during his 54 minutes and 26 seconds of play to earn his seventh win of the season.
The Tartans open University Athletic Association (UAA) play at home on Saturday, October 1 at 11:00 a.m. against New York University.