Tartans Record Nine Goals in Season Opener
|Game Statistics||Muskingum||Carnegie Mellon|
|Shots (on goal)||4 (1)||25 (17)|
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team took on Muskingum University on its home field, opening the season with a 9-0 win. The Tartans start 1-0 for the fifth straight season while Muskingum drops to 0-1.
Inside the Box Score
- The first goal came in the tenth minute from senior defender Eli Kampine with a header off a free kick from the right side taken by senior Alejandro Fernandez.
- The Tartans led 4-0 at halftime thanks to three more goals made by Fernandez, senior Josh Baugh, and junior Chris Lee.
- Two players recorded two goals in the game: senior Ethan Vertal and Baugh.
- The Tartans scored five goals in a seventeen-minute span in the second half.
- Freshman Justin Fung scored his first career goal in the 85th minute with an assist from senior Kol Rollins for the final goal of the night.
Thoughts from Vertal
"It's an awesome start to the season but it's just one game. So we're just trying to build on this and get better for the weekend. This is probably the tightest team I've ever been on. It's really exciting, and the more people who come on, the more excited I get. The level doesn't drop."
- Carnegie Mellon and Muskingum have faced off in the last three season openers, with the Tartans winning all three.
- This is Vertal's fifth time scoring two goals in one game.
- Baugh recorded his fourth career penalty kick in four attempts.
The Tartans host Allegheny College on Sunday, September 3. The match is set to kick off at 4:00 p.m.