Tartans Drop 1-0 Contest to #23 John Carroll
(PITTSBURGH, Pa.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's soccer team hosted 23rd-ranked John Carroll University on Thursday, September 7. The Blue Streaks scored early and held the 1-0 advantage for the final score to drop the Tartans to 2-1 for the season.
Inside The Box Score
- A fourth-minute goal by Jaden Wright was the difference in the game, as his header inside the 6-yard box got by sophomore Liam Ryan.
- Hayden Haffer served the pass inside the box where Wright ran in behind the defense for the free header.
- The Tartans ripped off four shots in the first period but all were wide or high of the goal.
- In the 49th minute, the Tartans earned a penalty kick when senior Alejandro Fernandez was pulled down inside the box.
- Senior Josh Baugh stepped up for the spot kick but it was saved by Brenden Moher with a dive to his right.
- Moher had two more saves to keep the clean sheet off shots by senior Eli Kampine in the 79th minute and freshman Nicholas Kourakis in the 80th minute.
- Ryan also made three saves in the second half.
- The Blue Streaks topped the Tartans for the first time in their last seven meetings as all games have been decided by one goal or ended in a tie (3 games).
The Tartans hit the road for the first time this season and will face Westminster College on Sunday, September 10 at 1:00 p.m.