Posted: Feb 04, 2023
Tartans Win Sixth Straight Battle for the Obelisk
(CLEVELAND, Ohio) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team won the 14th Annual Battle for the Obelisk versus Case Western Reserve University for the sixth straight Obelisk title for the Tartans. The men won the meet 95-41 versus Case Western and in a combined men's and women's score of 176-96. The Cardinal and Gray now lead the series 10-4.
Top Performances on the Track:
- Junior Thomas Rich claimed one of his three top finishes on the track when he crossed with a school record time of 8.44 in the 60-meter hurdles. The junior topped Daniel Ching's time of 8.49 set in 2012.
- Junior Andrew McGovern ran a personal-best time in the 800-meter run crossing in 1:53.13 to win the event.
- In the 200-meter dash, senior Alex Halkias finished first with a time of 22.70.
- Sophomore Colin McLaughlin won the mile run in 4:20.89.
- In the distance events, senior Elijah Sech won the 3,000-meter and junior David Durdaller took the top spot in the 5,000-meter with times of 8:29.66 and 14:44.67, respectively.
Top Performances in the Field:
- Rich's other two top finishes came in the long jump and high jump. He won the long jump with a mark of 6.85 meters and tied for first in the high jump with sophomores Sebastian Sanso and Ethan Higgs, as all three cleared the bar with a personal-best height of 1.90 meters.
- Sophomore Luke Blackwell took first in the triple jump with a leap of 13.43 meters.
- The throwing events saw the Tartans take the top spot in both the weight throw and shot put. Sophomore Cody Breidenbach tossed the weight 18.75 meters with senior Bailey O'Malley tying a personal-best in the shot put with a throw of 15.48 meters.
- The Tartans will compete at the Roanoke Invitational Challenge on Saturday, February 11.