Tartans Set Four School Records at BU and Roanoke; Take First at Roanoke
(SALEM, Va.) - The Carnegie Mellon University men's track and field team competed at the Joe LaRocco Invitational Saturday hosted by Roanoke College in Salem, Virginia. The Cardinal and Gray also had two compete at the Boston University David Hemery Valentine Invitational over the weekend. The Joe LaRocco Invitational was team scored as the Tartans placed first in the 10-team field with 123.5 points.
Performances at BU:
- The distance medley relay team of sophomore Eamon Brady, junior Andrew McGovern, junior Alex Ivanov and sophomore Colin McLaughlin set the school record with a time of 9:53.95. The previous record was set in 2017 which was 9:59.79 set by the team of Curtis Watro, Cam Wilkerson, Isaac Mills and Owen Norley.
- McGovern claimed a second school record when he crossed in 1:51.08 in the 800-meter run. He topped Thomas Vandenberg's time of 1:51.73 set in 2014.
- McLaughlin ran the 3,000-meter race and claimed his second school record of the weekend when he crossed in 8:15.35. The sophomore topped his previous school record time of 8:22.52 set earlier this season.
- Senior Elijah Sech and Brady also ran the 3,000-meter race and finished with times of 8:17.91 and 8:32.96, respectively. Sech's time puts him second all-time in program history.
- Senior Alex Halkias ran a personal-best indoor time of 22.29 in the 200-meter dash.
Top Performances on the Track at Roanoke:
- Junior Thomas Rich won the 60-meter hurdles for the second straight meet with time of 8.34. The time broke his previous school record time of 8.44 set last weekend.
- Sophomore Micah Nowlin also ran in the 60-meter hurdles and placed fourth with a time of 8.89.
- The mile run was won by junior Jacob Hsu who crossed in 4:24.30.
- Junior Charlie Murphy ran in the 3,000-meter run and placed first with a time of 8:57.79.
- A fifth-place finish came from freshman Gaven Williams in the 400-meter race with a time of 52.17.
Top Performances in the Field at Roanoke:
- Sophomore Cody Breidenbach won the weight throw with a toss of 18.61 meters with senior Bailey O'Malley placing fourth with a mark of 15.19 meters.
- O'Malley then won the shot put with a throw of 15.24 meters with Breidenbach placing sixth with a throw of 13.77 meters.
- Sophomores Ethan Higgs cleared the bar at 1.88 meters to place second in the high jump. Rich placed fifth after clearing the bar at 1.83 meters.
- Sophomore Sebastian Sanso took fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 13.06 meters while freshman Morgan Johnson placed fifth with a jump of 13.03 meters.
- In the pole vault, freshman Christian Duckworth went over the bar at 4.35 meters to place second while classmate Harrison Hayward placed fourth clearing the bar at 4.05 meters.
- The Tartans will compete at the Penn State Tune Up on Friday, February 17 and the Mount Union Tune Up on Saturday, February 18.